If we care about our physical health, then we get an annual checkup. If we care about our spiritual well-being as much as we care about our physical well-being, then it makes sense we would/should want to apply the Apostle Paul’s admonition to the church in Corinth as well.
“Examine yourselves, to see whether you are holding to your faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? —unless indeed you fail to meet the test!” —2 Corinthians 13:5 RSV
Directions: Go over each of the following basic areas of spiritual health and evaluate yourself. For each question that God’s Spirit convicts you, in prayer, confess, repent, forgive and submit afresh to the Lordship of Christ. In return you will see greater joy, peace, and power flow from your life.
LOVE – “Without love I am only making annoying noise…” – 1st Corinthians 13:1b
- In your recent encounters with people have you been consistently patient and kind?
- Is there anyone against whom you are harboring bitterness or jealousy?
- Are there groups of people you are stereo-typing or discounting?
- Are you irritable, cranky and focusing more on your agenda and needs rather than serving others?
- Do you have a complaining spirit?
- Do you carry hidden anger against anyone?
- Do you speak unkindly about people behind their back(s)?
- Have you recently served the poor, the imprisoned, the elderly or the sick in the name of Jesus?
- Are you intentionally building at least one friendship with a non-believer with the hope of leading them to Christ?
- Are you a genuinely joyful person to be around these days?
- Are you investing time regularly – in private – to love and be loved by God?
- Would your family say that you are a loving person?
- Are you a servant leader or a selfish leader?
HUMILITY – “God gives special help to humble people…” – 1st Peter 5:5
- Do you pretend to be something you’re not?
- Does your speech promote yourself and your agenda?
- Are you controlling, often insisting on your own way?
- Do you have a stubborn, critical, or un-teachable spirit?
- Can you receive constructive criticism without being overly defensive?
- Are you overly concerned with your title, image or status?
- In your heart-of-hearts do you consider yourself to be better than others?
- Are you concerned about receiving credit for your ideas and efforts?
- Are you quick to genuinely celebrate other people’s successes?
- Have you intentionally performed secret acts of service in recent days?
- Do you live for your pleasure or God’s glory?
- Do you trust in yourself or lean on God’s guidance and power in your life?
- Are you a cooperative, cheerful follower?
PURITY – “Without holiness you will not see God.” – Hebrews 12:14
- Has anything other than Christ gained mastery over your life? (i.e. food, TV, pleasure, alcohol, drugs, sports, pornography, internet, etc.)
- Do you listen to unwholesome radio, watch unwholesome TV and/or movies, or indulge in pornography?
- Do you allow impure thoughts about sex to stay in your mind?
- Are you engaging in any flirtatious activity or escapist thoughts with anyone who is not your spouse?
- Are you getting enough rest and practicing the Sabbath principle?
- Is your life marked by noise, busy-ness and stress, rather than peace, perspective and eternal purpose?
- Do you neglect or give little time to private, personal prayer, study of God’s Word, and silence before the Lord?
- Have you recently lied, exaggerated, or embellished the truth?
- Do you follow through on your promises? Is your word completely reliable?
- Do you work with “all your heart” or is laziness creeping into your work?
- Are you honoring God with your finances – paying your tithe and living with total integrity and self-control?
- Are you living hypocritically in any area of your life?
- Are you promptly and fully obeying the Holy Spirit to the best of your ability?
- Are you accountable to a handful of men (or women if you’re a female) who love Jesus with all their hearts?
- Do you love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength?
FAITH – “Without faith it is impossible to please God.” – Hebrews 11:6
- When Jesus calls, do you step out of the boat or hold back in fear?
- Are you doubting and pessimistic about seeing God do great things?
- Do you persevere in prater when answers are delayed?
- Do you continue to serve in hope even when the going gets tough?
- When was the last time you risked for the sake of God’s kingdom?
- Are you more concerned about your comfort than the building of the kingdom of God?
- When was the last time you have been a part of God doing a great thing?
- Are your eyes on yourself (self-conscious), on others (comparison), or on God (faith)?
- Do your actions in life show a heart full of faith in God?
- Are you building your faith through memorizing, meditating, and obeying God’s Word?
- Do you promote or hold back the growth of God’s work in His church?